|Diagnostic Trade Integration Study (DTIS)||2006|
EIF is supporting Sierra Leone to identify and prioritize its national competitiveness to meet growth objectives – in a sustainable and inclusive manner.
Detailed analytical studies have identified the potential and constraints in four priority sectors: fisheries, tourism, agriculture and trade sub-sectors. As a result, EIF is providing targeted support in the agricultural industry with the overall objective of creating an enabling environment for sustainable growth. In tourism , rebranding will create jobs work toward poverty reduction.
EIF worked to strengthen the programme's in-country arrangements to increase Sierra Leone's ownership of trade‑related assistance and to maximize the benefits that the country could derive.
- The Government of Sierra Leone established the Presidential Initiative on Post‑Ebola Recovery and Transition, a 6- to 9‑month delivery initiative focusing on the thematic areas of health, education, social protection and private sector development.
- The EIF National Implementation Unit (NIU) provided technical expertise for the private sector development initiative by ensuring that priorities identified in the Diagnostic Trade Integration Study Update (DTISU) were reflected, including access to finance, improving the business climate and capacity building for small businesses.
- The NIU worked with the Ministry of Trade and Industry to develop the 10- to 24‑month post‑Ebola recovery and transition initiative.
- Private sector development working group established, and the EIF National Steering Committee for the post‑Ebola recovery rekindled the coordination of trade‑related resources and delivery.
- The NIU is working with a consortium of NGOs, DFID and the Ministry of Trade to help petty traders to access finance.
Enhancing trade – Tourism
The aim of the Sustainable Tourism Development and Promotion Project is to create an enabling environment for sustainable growth of the tourism sector, thereby rebranding the image of the country, creating jobs, conserving the environment and reducing poverty.
- An Ecotourism Policy and Action Plan was developed.
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESHIA) were carried out and management plans were developed for five ecotourism sites. Public disclosure was conducted in a participatory manner in July 2015 involving presentations, discussions, brainstorming, dialogues and practical inputs into the ESHIA and ecotourism documents.
- All five targeted communities completed proposals and submitted to the National Tourist Board (NTB) for onward appraisal by the Small Grant Programme Appraisal Committee.
- The NTB/Ministry of Tourism and Cultural Affairs, in collaboration with the private sector, hosted a Press Conference during ITB Berlin in March 2015. This was the first step to reviving Sierra Leone as a tourist destination after the Ebola outbreak.
Sierra Leone Aide-Mémoire: Post-DTIS Validation Steps (2006)English
Sierra Leone Aide-Mémoire Main Mission (2005)English
Sierra Leone Aide-Mémoire Preparatory Mission (2005)English
Sierra Leone Action Matrix (2006)English
Sierra Leone Diagnostic Trade Integration Study (DTIS) (2006)English
Sierra Leone Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper (PRSP) Progress Report (2008)English
Sierra Leone: DFID Country Trade Profile (2013)English
Trading Stories (2013)English
Sierra Leone Diagnostic Trade Integration Study Update (DTISU) (2013)English
Trading stories: Sierra Leone (2013)English
Sierra Leone Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper (PRSP) (2013-2018)English
Sierra Leone Annual Progress Report (2013)English
Ambassador, Permanent Representative, Permanent Mission of the Republic of Sierra Leone, Geneva
Abdul R.M. FOFANAH
Sr. Permanent Secretary EIF Focal Point Ministry of Trade and Industry Freetown
Deputy Director Programe Management Directorate Ministry of Trade and Industry Freetown
Director Programe Management Directorate Ministry of Trade and Industry Freetown
Donor Facilitator, Department for International Development, UK
EIF Donor Facilitator, Department for International Development, UK
Private Sector Development Advisor - DFID
Head of Economics, Trade and Regional Cooperation Section - European Union
DBA, FCa, CEO Development & Management Consultants FJP
Moses Muse Sichei
Economic Advisor - UNDP
Alhaji Usman Boie Kamara
Minister of Trade & Industry
Peter Bayuku Konteh
Minister of Tourism & Cultural Affairs
Allan s. Tuboku-Metzger
Business Development Officer - Sierra Leone Chamber of Commerce Industrial and Agriculture
Managing Partner - Chariot Eight
Country Director - UNDP
Financial Analyst - National Commission for Privatisation - Office of the President
Deputy Director Sierra Leone Business Forum Ltd
Grace J. Macauley
Ministry of Trade and Industry
Ahmed S.B. Wurie
Chairman Board of Directors - National Tourist Board Sierra Leone
Deputy Minister of Trade & Industry
Abdul R Wurie
Director New Brookfields Hotel
Ibrahim Washingai Mansaray
Deputy Minister of Trade and Industry - Government of Sierra Leone
Samura M.W. Kamara
Minister of Foreign Affairs & International cooperation - Government of Sierra Leone