|Diagnostic Trade Integration Study (DTIS)||2008|
EIF is supporting Niger to effectively mainstream trade into its Plan for Economic and Social Development and the overarching Strategy for Sustainable Development and Inclusive Growth.
Trade has been incorporated into sectoral strategies for tourism, agriculture and mining. Targeted support in the hides and skins sector has been essential in strengthening the institutional and technical capacities of producers and exporters to play a more active role in the commercialization of their products.
The project aims to reinforce the institutional implementation by the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Promotion of Young Entrepreneurs. The project also aims to develop capacities for formulation and integration of trade‑related policies into the national development programmes and to facilitate regional and international integration of trade.
- 45 entrepreneurs (bakers, butchers, women agricultural processors and restaurateurs) were trained on hygiene and quality standards.
- 40 women entrepreneurs from Niger’s eight regions were trained on cross‑border trade and trade facilitation in Zinder.
- Members of the EIF National Steering Committee participated in training about various WTO‑related topics.
- The EIF National Implementation Unit is working to promote trade in national sectoral strategies, including livestock, professional development, employment and agriculture.
Enhancing trade – Hides and skins
EIF is working to improve the competitiveness of the hides and skins sector by strengthening the capacity of actors involved across Niger’s eight regions.
- Developed educational materials on topics including livestock branding, skinning techniques, conservation techniques for hides and skins and tanning processes.
- 5 abattoirs equipped with proper skinning materials.
- 120 hide and skin collectors and 40 livestock agents responsible for the cattle market were trained in conservation and strong techniques for skin and hides.
- 40 women were trained in leatherwork, and 4 women’s organizations were equipped with leatherworking materials.
- 4 tanneries were equipped with tanning products and materials.
- A trade mission was undertaken to Tunisia. A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed with the Assabsseb Tannery which will provide technical support to the modern tanneries of Niger. Another MOU was signed with Delta Cuirs, who will help install a shoe factory in Niger.
Niger Aide-Mémoire Main Mission / Mission Principale (2006)English
Niger Aide-Mémoire - Preparatory Mission / Mission Préparatoire (2006)English
Niger: Etude Diagnostique sur l'Intégration du Commerce (EDIC) / Diagnostic Trade Integration Study (DTIS) (2008)English French
Niger Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper (PRSP) 1 (2008-2012)English
Niger Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper (PRSP) 2 (2012-2015)English
Niger Annual Progress Report (2013)English
Etude Diagnostique sur l’Intégration du Commerce au Niger (EDIC) (2015)French
Coordonnateur UNMO CIR Ministère du Commerce et de la Promotion du Secteur Privé Niamey
Juan José VILLA CHACÓN
EIF Donor Facilitator, Delegation of the European Union to the Republic of Niger
Focal Point Niger