|Diagnostic Trade Integration Study (DTIS)||2004|
With EIF support, Lao PDR developed a Trade and Private Sector Development Roadmap, which has served as the main instrument for their Aid for Trade harmonization, resource mobilization and coordination efforts. Within the EIF implementation framework, the country has successfully leveraged trade‑related priorities, including a total of 16 projects totalling US$68 million.
EIF-supported analytical work has been used to enhance Lao PDR’s export diversification into sectors with high social impacts, in order to ensure that trade improves the livelihoods of the poor. As a result, donors have been supporting Lao PDR’s trade goals through a multi-donor trust fund.
EIF worked to enhance Lao PDR’s national capacity to formulate, implement, manage and monitor a pro-poor trade policy that is consistent with the country’s National Socio‐Economic Development Plan (NSEDP).
- Following the country's EIF-supported trade analysis, four major projects were formulated to support implementation of the Trade and Private Sector Development Roadmap:
- US$16.5 Million Trade Development Facility - Multi-Donor Trust Fund co-financed by Australia, EU, Germany, Ireland, USA, and World Bank;
- US$20 Million SME Access to Finance Project supported by the World Bank;
- €6.5 Million German funded Project to support regional integration under ASEAN and Entrepreneurship Development; and
- US$9 Million US Aid funded project to support implementation of commitments under WTO, Laos-US Bilateral Agreement and institutional capacity building and other small TA from various international development institutions, including some regional programmes.
- Key regulatory deficiencies in key service sectors, including telecommunications, insurance, and professional services, were identified and addressed.
- Services and Investment portal established.
- SMEs assisted to access long-term bank financing through a line of credit facility and enhancing SME financial literacy.
- Capacity building provided for local SMEs through implementation of matching grant scheme, including tourism, IT, general manufacturing, handicrafts and the garment industry.
- Improved competitiveness of tourism, handicraft, and agribusiness sectors in Northern and Southern parts of the country using value chain analysis.
- 45 participants, including NIU technicians, participated in a workshop on investment climate assessment presented by the World Bank in 2014.
- 53 people participated in a 4-day NIU fiduciary workshop in July 2015 to enhance understanding of basic principles of financial and procurement management regulations.
Enhancing trade – Strengthening infrastructure and industrial statistics
The National Quality Infrastructure component assists Lao PDR in building its national standardization system, developing a national metrology system to ensure the uniformity and traceability of measurements, building technical infrastructure for accreditation; achieving mutual recognition of accreditation and certification results, and creating private sector awareness of the importance and benefits of implementing international quality standards.
National Quality Infrastructure
- Department of Standardization and Metrology (DSM) was upgraded from subscriber member to correspondence member in the ISO membership in early 2017.
- 106 standards have been adopted/approved.
- Training has been provided on Legislation and Document Control including in the Textile Testing on Lab observation at Bureau of Accreditation of Vietnam for three DSM staff and on how to utilize some lab equipment for eight lab staff and two NIU officials. Inspections of food contaminated residue have also been conducted in a meeting with the Department of Planning and Cooperation (DPC), Ubon University, Government Pharmaceutical Organization, Thailand Institute of Science and Technology, Thailand, in June 2017.
- 50 people from line ministries, government agencies, industry and the DSM participated in a training course in Vientiane in October 2015 focusing on the international requirements for standardization and the role of the National Standards Council in the development of standards.
- 48 participants in Xiengkhounag province attended a training on internal audit to ensure that the labs are conformant to international standards.
- 25 people who would be assigned by the DSM as Assessors of Accreditation participated in the following courses: Internal Calibration Course (2 days), Uncertainty Calibration Course (2 days), Lead Assessor Course (5 days).
- 169 participants learned the role and importance of standardization and metrology during three workshops in Saysomboun province, Sekong province and Xiengkhouang province in 2015.
- A one-day workshop for SMEs was held in Vientiane in May 2015. The workshop covered the quality management system and how it helps SMEs to generate more revenue, implement quality activities, and improve product safety.
- All the equipment for the Vientiane and provincial statistical offices of the Department of Industry and Handicrafts (DoIH) were procured. This will support the capacity building of the country in hardware for industrial statistics.
- Training was provided to provincial statisticians both in May 2015 on input data system design with tabulation with MS for DoIH statisticians.
- 40 participants (DoIH teams and provincial statisticians) participated in a two-day training in June 2015 covering basic statistics, industrial statistics, and industrial index field enumeration, data collection and data input.
Lao PDR Diagnostic Trade Integration Study: Building Export Competitiveness in Laos (2006)English
Lao PDR Post-National Validation Workshop Aide-Mémoire (2005)English
Lao PDR Aide-Mémoire Main Mission (2005)English
Lao PDR DTIS Action Matrix (2006)English
Building Export Competitiveness in Laos: Summary Report (2006)English
Building Export Competitiveness in Laos: Background Report (2006)English
Lao Trade Magazine (January 2011)English
Lao PDR DTIS Update: Trade and Private Sector Development Roadmap (2012)English
Country Profile: Lao PDR (2011)English French Portugese
Trading Stories (2013)English
Lao PDR Trading Stories (2013)English
Lao PDR Annual Progress Report (2013)English
Trade Officer National Implementation Unit Department of Planning and Cooperation Ministry of Industry and Commerce Vientiane
M&E Officer National Implementation Unit Department of Planning and Cooperation Ministry of Industry and Commerce Vientiane
Deputy Director Department of Planning and Cooperation, and EIF Focal Point Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Donor Facilitator, Delegation of the European Union to Lao PDR
Deputy Director Division Ministry of Industry and Commerce, Department of Planning and Cooperation, Development Planning Division
Programme Officer Trade & Economics - Delegation of the European Union to Lao PDR
International Project Coordinator - UN Trade Cluster Project
Procurement Officer Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Deputy Director of Foreign Aid Division - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
International Project Operations Advisor - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Trade Analyst - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Director of Division Planning Department - Ministry of Planning and Investment
National Financial Specialist - Department of Planning and Cooperation - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Matthew B. Younger
Political-Economic Officer, Commercial Officer - Embassy of the United States of America
Programme Specialist in Poverty Reduction and Development Effectiveness/ Acting Head of Poverty Reduction Unit - UNDP
Senior Technical Adviser Ministry of Planning & Investment - Department of Planning - UNDP
Programme analyst Poverty Reduction Unit - UNDP
Trade Analyst - ministry of Industry and Commerce
Director of Foreign Aid Division - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
International Project Coordinator - Department of Trade Promotion and Product Development - UNOPS
PSD Advisor Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Director General Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Head of Cooperation Delegation of the European Union to Laos
Trade Analyst - The World Bank
Country Manager - The World Bank
Director General Department of Intellectual Property Department - Ministry of Science and Technology
Deputy Director General Department of Standardization and Metrology - Ministry of Science and Technology
Director of Industrial Environment and Chemistry Division - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Director General Department Standardization & Metrology - Ministry of Science and Technology
Director General Trade and Product Promotion Department - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Vice Minister of Planning and Investment
Director General Department of Planning and Cooperation - Ministry of Science and Technology
Deputy director General Foreign Trade Policy Department - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Programme Officer Delegation of the European Union to Laos
Director General Department of Industry and Handicrafts - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Deputy Director General Department of Industry and Handicrafts - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Director Products Standard Division - Department of Industry & Handicraft - Ministry of Industry & Commerce
Director of Quality Management Center - Department of Standardization and Metrology - Ministry of Science and Technology
Trade Specialist - The World Bank
Deputy Director General Department of Industry and Handicrafts - Ministry of Industry and Commerce
Deputy Director General - NSEDP Project Manager - Ministry of Planning and Investment Planning Department
Investment Promotion Advisor - Sustainable Economic Development - GIZ
Head of UNIDO Operations, Lao PDR
Programme Director - Sustainable Economic Development
Project Manager - Supporting Laos' Integration into Regional Markets
Adviser of Lao National chamber of Commerce and Industry
Programme Officer - Delegation of the European Union to Laos
Charge d'Affairess - Delegation of the European Union to Laos
General Manager - Poysian Bulgogee Restaurant