|Diagnostic Trade Integration Study (DTIS)||2003|
With local stakeholders and development partners, EIF is supporting Ethiopia to incorporate trade into its Growth and Transformation Plan, in order to strengthen the country's participation in global and regional markets and to spur development and poverty reduction.
The second phase of the Growth and Transformation Plan runs from 2016 to 2020 and identifies three goals:
- supporting the trade sector and improving capacity
- establishing a modern and fair trading system
- enhancing foreign currency earnings by strengthening modern market promotion and linkage systems.
- Growth, industrialization and international trade integration are reflected in the Government’s Second Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP II) for 2016-2020. The main principles of this strategy are to:
- build linkages between manufacturing industries and agriculture
- focus on labour-intensive sectors to generate employment
- concentrate government support on strategic sectors identified in the Diagnostic Trade Integration Study Update (DTISU).
- Training workshops on WTO matters, the status of Ethiopia’s WTO accession, regional integration, bilateral negotiations, border trade and the EIF with participants from Gambela regional state institutions, the Chamber of Commerce and Sectoral Associations and other private associations engaged in trade, industry and transport.
- A directive was approved to form a national office for WTO accession implementation and for regional integration, paving the way forward for Ethiopia's accession to the WTO and in fostering regional integration, supporting the successful implementation of the EIF programme in Ethiopia.
Yishak Tekaligne TAYE
Director, Bilateral and Regional Trade Relation and Negotiation Directorate Focal Point to EIF Ministry of Trade Addis Ababa
Donor Facilitator, Delegation of the European Union to Ethiopia
EIF Ethiopia NIU Coordinator